Thursday, August 20, 2015

Titansgrave: Season 1 Short Review

Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana on YouTube

Season One of Titansgrave wrapped up (and hey, I learned after watching Episode 10 that there's at least another season planned) this week.  The final episode was pretty great, I think, and addressed some of the issues I had early on.  I definitely think you should watch this series - most of the episodes are under an hour in length and the story is pretty fun to follow - which makes the finale especially frustrating from a viewing standpoint (in a good way).

To expand on my point...one of my issues with the show originally was that I felt very disconnected during the battle sequences - they dragged on a little too long, at least from my perspective, because I didn't fully understand the game mechanisms.  At the end of the series, I still don't fully understand the system, but I think I've gained enough basic knowledge that I'd be able to pick up and play tomorrow if someone asked me.  And that's all from just watching the game being played, so job well done there.

But what specifically changed for the better for me in Episode 10 was the pacing of the final battle.  Granted, I think this was done specifically because it was the Epic Final Battle - but there was a noticeable change from the earlier episodes.  I hope Wil Wheaton has some behind the scenes material that will be released for the show, because I'd be willing to bet that there was a conscious decision behind the pacing change and it has to do with the gameplay mechanics & getting the viewer accustomed to how the game works.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the last episode except for the suckerpunch right at the end.  Thanks a lot, GM Wheaton.  I'm pretty sure I have spoiled 0% of the show for you, so if you haven't watched it - please go watch it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment