Monday, August 10, 2015

A New Podcast! Sort of.

So I got excited about a Thing and I decided to Make It Happen.  Recently I released a podcast entirely done on my cell phone using Spreaker - that got me really excited for possibilities with podcasts from my phone in general, and I started looking into things.

Well, it turns out that to do it for free, the mobile solutions are not very practical.  However I wanted to do an audio version of this blog (sort of) and doing it with my cell phone seemed like a very low-barrier-to-entry way of doing it.

tl;dr: I wanted to be able to just record & release as quickly as possible without worrying about setting up my recording studio and putting in tons of research, etc. so that I could just release something.

The end result is hopefully something akin to Radio Free Burrito, but probably not as good as what Wil Wheaton can do.  The first episode sort of introduces the concept (hence the title, The Concept) and gives you a taste of what's to come!  Link to the podcast is below, and below THAT, you'll find my write-up of what I think of TitansGrave so far.

Oh, it's not in iTunes yet.  It will be, once I get a title.  So you'll have to either play it here, or use the RSS feed.  Which will probably change once I get a proper title.

Episode 1: The Concept: http://media.zencast.fm/steves-electroniccast/1.mp3
RSS: http://media.zencast.fm/steves-electroniccast/rss




TitansGrave Thoughts - "Five Gold & A Party"

TitansGrave: The Ashes of Valkana is a YouTube web series hosted by Wil Wheaton on the Geek & Sundry channel.

The basics: It's Wil Wheaton GMing an RPG with four actor friends.

What's cool about it:  All of the associated artwork and detailed story behind the series.

I've never played a tabletop / die-based RPG game before.  The show is letting me play vicariously through the players on the screen.

Actually, I'm more interested in the story than the gameplay mechanics.  That's good because I feel if there's a downside to the series, it's in the dice rolling and the battle sequences.

The battles are entertaining, but I feel like I can tell the game is benefitting from support staff helping to keep track of everything going on.

Still, it helps me to see how one might go about playing one of these games.  I never really understood how all of that worked (even though I sort of did some role playing online in high school).  It's probably something I would try sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment