Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Ceci n'est pas un artiste"

I found this journal entry dated November 20, 2005 on my old DeviantArt webpage.  Fitting, since I was wearing the t-shirt I mention in the entry when I found it yesterday.  Here it is, edited only to add a link and to clean up the language (apparently I was rather foul-mouthed 5 years ago).  Oh and to fix spelling in one spot (marked in red).

So a while back I found this pretty neat-o shirt on Threadless; it was the one with a Super Mario pipe with one of those evil pirhana plants coming out of it and underneath it, it said "Ceci n'est pas une pipe".


Well I didn't get it when I bought it, I just wanted the Super Mario pipe. But I read up on it and it actually is in reference to "The Treachery Of Images", a painting by René Magritte, a Belgian Surrealist.

You can read all about it at the handy dandy wikipedia website here but the basics of it is that the painting is of a pipe, and underneath it says "Ceci n'est pas une pipe". Well hold the phone! It pretty damn well looks like a pipe, for f---'s sake! Yeah, that's the point, you see - it is a drawing of a pipe, but the canvas and the paint is not actually a pipe. So "This is not a pipe"(which is what this translates to, for those who don't speak French) is accurate to the painting.
I just realized how ironic my signiature is("I am not an artist"). If you look at it with the whole "Treachery of Images" angle you could interpret it to mean I am the image of an artist which is pretty true because I suck. So I'm not really an artist I just look like one.

Because I'm poor and have no money.  
 So I don't know - is this still accurate?  I like to think now that I don't actually suck.  I'm just artistic in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment