Tuesday, December 7, 2010

50th Post

I think it's absolutely fantastic that my 50th post is the one where I tell all three readers about the deadline I set for my short story collection.

I plan to have everything collected and put together as a first draft by FEBRUARY 20, 2010.  That gives me 75 days to write / revise at least 10 stories, which I think is way more than enough time for somebody who writes a LOT, but it is a realistic and comfortable goal for somebody like me who doesn't always get a lot of time to write.

Some things I wanted to point out:
- I've got 7 stories in various stages - from not written yet all the way to just needs some polish - so there are three slots that simply need ideas injected into them, and then I have 10 stories
- I'm planning on throwing in some haikus in there.  I love writing haikus.
- Just so we're clear, I mean that by February 20th I want all of my stories to be complete.  The deadline for having everything properly formatted will be determined later, I just want to make sure I have everything ready to go by the 20th.

This is something very ambitious for me, and I'm excited about it.  I'm going to start work on my NaNo story tonight, but will probably just be sticking to outlining and narrowing down which plot points I want to keep, etc. etc.  The bottom line is I'm trying to keep this from being intimidating / daunting, because if I feel like I can't do this then it won't get done.

I'm just going to follow the oodles of people who've given the following advice: just put your work out there.  You run the risk of people not liking your work, but if you don't put your work out at all, you'll guarantee that no one will like it.

1 comment:

  1. Exciting! I'm totally sure you can do it and looking forward to seeing that collection once it's done :D

    (And you, haikus? HOW WOULD I EVER HAVE GUESSED???)

    ReplyDelete