Thursday, April 21, 2011

Just some thoughts.

I haven't posted in a while (that BSG finale was just too amazing, really), so I thought I would just make an entry without any real purpose beyond expressing some thoughts.

It might be a rather lengthy entry so I thought I'd put it all under a page break thingie.

I mentioned a while back that I finished that "pocket watch" story I had been working on for so long; well, I did finish it, in the sense that I finally reached from beginning to end.  However upon workshopping it with a few people, it lacks some depth and could use another re-write to incorporate some more "high stakes" elements to it.  I know what to do with it, and will do it eventually, but it might mean turning it back into a novel.  Go figure, eh?

Having said that, my plan is to gather up all existing, unpublished short stories and put them into an ebook (and a print version as well, since I still have that CreateSpace code for a free proof copy I can use) and make it available.  This includes the current, technically-unfinished version of the aforementioned story.  I'm not expecting to make money off of this, I just want to put it out there.

I was also thinking this morning about how I'm not having the most fun possible writing.  I'm going to attribute this to misplaced goals.  For some reason I have the feeling like I should be writing to perfection and making some money selling my stories.  This shouldn't be the case, I think, because I'm finding reasonable success with my podcast/blog.  That is my niche right now, and though my terms of success are pitiful in others' views, I'm making some headway with it and having fun.

And from there, I thought about the stuff I used to write.  I used to write for fun, and I had fun!  I didn't stress over every minutae, worrying about whether the story worked or not.  I just wrote whatever came to mind.  I think actually these thoughts came to mind after listening to several episodes of Mike Detective, an extremely funny (and somewhat inspiring) podcast.

Another thing I thought about a while ago is that I should write an ebook about how to make a podcast.  The key to it that I was thinking was making the distinction that it's NOT called "How to make a successful podcast", it's just how to make a podcast - it's up to YOU to make it successful.  I think I could do a fairly decent job putting something like this together, though it would take a lot of work to make it good.

And finally, we come to Caprica.  I still want to watch this series, as I feel like it will sort of put BSG into a different light.  I don't know when I'm going to get to this though, because of technical considerations (i.e., how can I watch this more comfortably than simply sitting at my desk watching on my laptop).  I'll think of something.  I am eagerly awaiting the launch of the new BSG series, Blood and Chrome.

Oh, also, new Doctor Who starts this weekend.  There's going to be a Who marathon on Space to lead up to it, but I can't honestly say I'm willing to spend my entire weekend sitting in front of the TV.  I actually do have some semblance of a life to live.  I don't know if I'll even be able to watch the episode live this weekend, but hopefully Space puts the new episode online as they have been doing with other shows lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment